The Australian Government has long been promoting solar energy to reduce carbon emissions, especially in areas where it is costly to install rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV). The Australian Solar Rebate Program, which has been in place since 2010, encourages property owners and businesses for solar panels installed by offering a generous financial incentive.
The program has several phases and different eligibility requirements in different states and territories. This article covers the Australian Solar Rebate program in Queensland 2021/2022.
What is the Australian Solar Rebate Program?
The Australian Solar Rebate Program was launched in 2010 as a joint initiative between the Australian government and Clean Energy Finance Corporation. The program aims to encourage the uptake of solar energy by offering generous rebates to individuals who install panels at their homes to generate power or sell back excess power to the grid. It is similar to the Government’s previous Solar Loan Scheme, which was available between 1 July 2010 and 30 June 2015.
The program is also jointly run by several levels of government and institutions, including state and territory energy authorities and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. The majority of the program’s funding comes from the Australian government, which allocates a rebate of up to $3000 to $5000 to all eligible customers who install solar power and receive a quote from a solar installer. One can claim the money in the form of Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) and Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs). The amount you receive depends on the size of your rooftop and the time of year you apply. For example, a household with a 100-square-meter roof that applies in winter will get a lower rebate than a household with the same size roof that applies in summer.
Who is Eligible for the Australian Solar Rebate Program?
The Australian Solar Rebate Program is open to any individual or business in Queensland who wants to install rooftop solar power. It’s also open to Queensland state government agencies, public schools, and public hospitals that want to install solar water heaters, heat pumps, or solar PV. However, some public buildings in Queensland are exempt from the program due to the high cost of construction or maintenance.
To be eligible for the solar rebate program, you must also be an individual or a business. You can’t apply as part of a cooperative or association. You can only apply once per financial year, from January to December. However, you can apply for the program multiple times if you change your mind and don’t want to get a quote.
What You Get from the Australian Solar Rebate Program
If you are eligible for the Australian Solar Rebate Program, you will receive a rebate of $3,000 off the cost of the installation of a solar power system. You get this rebate regardless of who you choose to install your system, as long as they meet the requirements outlined below. –
- You must choose to have a solar system installed.
- You must choose a Clean Energy Council authorized installer (like Jarvis)
- The solar installer must quote you a price for the system and do the installation.
- You must get a quote from a solar installer.
- You must complete an application for the Australian Solar Rebate Program.
- You must sign an agreement with your approved installer.
- You must install the solar set within 12 months of getting STCs.
How to Apply for the Australian Solar Rebate Program in Queensland?
- You must choose a solar installer as part of your application for the Australian Solar Rebate Program. You can find all of the contact details for your chosen installer on the Solar Rebate website.
- Once you choose your installer, you must complete an application for the program. You can complete an online application through the solar rebates website or via the SMS service.
- Once you submit your application, you have the option to receive a quote from a solar installer. You can only receive a quote if you have not made a decision on a solar installer yet.
- It’s important that you get a quote from a solar installer because your rebate application could be rejected if you only apply and don’t get a quote. You can only get a quote from a solar installer if you haven’t made a decision on a solar installer.
Things to remember:
Once you get a quote, you have exactly 180 days to decide on a solar installer. If you don’t decide on an installer within 180 days, you have to choose a new solar installer. If you choose to get a quote and decide on a different installer, you have to pay the difference in quotes. Also, if you don’t get a quote within 180 days and get a new quote, you have to pay the full cost of installation.
Once you decide on a solar installer, you have to complete an application for the Australian Solar Rebate Program. You must choose a solar system size and get a quote for that size. You must also choose an approved installer and sign an agreement with your installer. You can also add a solar power system to your application if you want by using the online application.
The whole process from applying to installing solar panels can be daunting. We, Jarvis Electricals, an authorized installer can help you breeze through the whole procedure. Our expert team guides you right from registering, getting the right quote, and setting up your solar panel to maintaining it for years. Let’s join together to make the most out of the sunshine!
Further, you can read the reasons to choose solar panels for more info. The Australian Government’s Solar Rebate program is a great way to reduce your energy costs and make sure you are getting the most out of your solar system. The terms and conditions of this program are quite strict, but it is well worth the effort to apply. If you are interested in receiving the Government Solar Rebate Qld 2021/2022 and have requirements for solar panel installation you can get started today. Save electricity and save energy for a better future.